Click Here to return to
St. Johnís Church
ST. JOHNíS, much cut about and restored, is in substance older than the Cathedral or Trinity. It dates from 1350. The tower is good. The sketch gives a fragment of the old wall and the back of Old Bablake. If it shows no single one of the greater treasures of the town, yet it gathers together church, wall and old timber work, and brings before the seeing eye the whole Middle Ages. The Middle Ages live in Coventry to-day in these old stones, and we may well harken their message of civic pride and inward happiness. It was their civic pride and inward peace that dyed the glass of St. Maryís, made stately the great gables of Fordís Hospital, and thrust the matchless octagon of the Cathedral far seen against our English skies.
copyright, Kellscraft Studio
Return to Web Text-ures Content Page