Web Text-ures Logo
Web and Book design,
Copyright, Kellscraft Studio

(Return to Web Text-ures)
Click Here to return to
The Heart of the Antarctic
Content Page

 Return to the Previous Chapter
Kellscraft Studio Logo




The Members of the Expedition: Nimrod leaves East India Docks, July 30: In the Solent, August 3-5


THE personnel of an expedition of the character I proposed is a factor on which success depends to a very large extent. The men selected must be qualified for the work, and they must also have the special qualifications required to meet polar conditions. They must be able to live together in harmony for a long period without outside communication, and it must be remembered that the men whose desires lead them to the untrodden paths of the world have generally marked individuality. It was no easy matter for me to select the staff, although over four hundred applications arrived from persons wishing to join the expedition. I wanted to have two surgeons with the shore-party, and also to have a thoroughly capable biologist and geologist, for the study of these two branches of science in the Antarctic seemed to me to be of especial importance. After much consideration I selected eleven men for the shore-party. Three of them only, Adams, Wild, and Joyce, had been known to me previously, while only Wild and Joyce had previous experience of polar work, having been members of the Discovery expedition. Every man, however, was highly recommended, and this was the case also with the officers whom I selected for the Nimrod.






PROFESSOR T. W. EDGEWORTH DAVID, F.R.S., director of the scientific staff.
LIEUTENANT J. B. ADAMS, R.N.R., meteorologist.





SIR PHILIP BROCKLEHURST, Bart., assistant geologist. BERNARD DAY, motor expert.
ERNEST JOYCE, in charge of dogs, sledges, &c.
DR. A. F. MACKAY, surgeon.
DOUGLAS MAWSON, D.Sc., B.E., physicist.
BERTRAM ARMYTAGE, in charge of ponies.
DR. E. MARSHALL, surgeon, cartographer.
G. E. MARSTON, artist.
J. MURRAY, biologist.
F. WELD, in charge of provisions.
Before leaving New Zealand I was able to add to the strength of the staff:


Professor Edgeworth David, F.R.S., of Sydney University, consented to accompany us as far as the winter quarters, with the idea of returning in the Nimrod, but I persuaded him eventually to stay in the Antarctic, and his assistance in connection with the scientific work, and particularly the geology, was invaluable.

Dr. Mawson (lecturer in mineralogy, &c., at the Adelaide University) joined us as physicist.



JOHN K. DAVIS, chief officer, later captain.
A. L. A. MACKINTOSH, second officer.
A. E. HARBORD, auxiliary second officer.
H. J. L. DUNLOP, chief engineer.
W. A. R. MICHELL, surgeon.
ALFRED CHEETHAM, third officer and boatswain.
W. D. ANSELL, steward.
J. MONTAGUE, cook.
E. ELLIS                
H. BULL                
S. RICHES      A.B.s.
J. PATON              
G. BILSBY, carpenter
[LIEUTENANT F. P. EVANs, R.N.R., was appointed captain for the second voyage to the Antarctic.]

 The work of preparation made rapid progress, and as the end of July approached the stores and equipment were stowed away on board the Nimrod in readiness for the voyage to New Zealand. The final departure for the south was to be made from Lyttelton, at which I felt sure, from former experience, that I should receive every assistance from the authorities.

Early in July we exhibited at a room in Regent Street samples of our stores and equipment, and some thousands of people paid us a visit. The days were all too short, for scores of details demanded attention; but there were no delays, and on July 30, 1907, the Nimrod sailed from the East India Docks on the first stage of the long journey to New Zealand. Most of the members of the shore staff, including myself, intended to make this journey by mail steamer, but I left the docks with the Nimrod, intending to travel as far as Torquay.

We anchored for the first night at Greenhithe. Next morning, after landing Mr. Reid at Tilbury in order that he might return to London for letters, we proceeded on our way down channel. When Mr. Reid reached London, he found a telegram from the King's equerry, commanding the Nimrod to visit Cowes in order that their Majesties the King and Queen might inspect the ship and equipment on Sunday, August 4. Mr. Reid had some difficulty in delivering this message to me, but the Admiral-superintendent at Sheerness kindly despatched a tug which overtook the Nimrod off Ramsgate. On August 1 we stopped for an hour off Eastbourne to enable some supporters of the expedition to pay us a farewell visit, and then proceeded to the Solent, where we anchored.

Book Chapter Logo Click the book image to turn to the next Chapter.