Web Text-ures LogoWeb and Book design image,
Copyright, Kellscraft Studio              
1999-2007


(Return to Web Text-ures)
Click here to return to
Boston: A Guidebook
Content Page

Kellscraft Studio Logo
(HOME)


 

VI. IMPORTANT POINTS OF INTEREST

FOR THE VISITOR WHOSE TIME IS LIMITED

The visitor who has only two or three days to spend in Boston will find the following list of leading points of interest helpful in arranging an itinerary.

Old South Meetinghouse. Washington Street, corner of Milk Street. Loan historical collection here. Open week days from 9 A.M. to 6 P.M. Fee, 25 cents.

Old State House. Head of State Street. Memorial halls with historical collections. Open from 9 A.M. to 4.30 P.M.; Saturdays from 9.30 to 4. Free. (Temporarily closed, summer of 1903, on account of Subway building beneath it.)

Faneuil Hall. Faneuil Hall Square. Also military museum of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company in their armory on the upper floors. Open from 10 A.M. to 4 P.M., except Saturdays and Sundays. Free.

King’s Chapel. Tremont Street, corner of School Street. Dating from 1754. Interesting interior.

King’s Chapel Burying Ground. Tremont Street, adjoining the Chapel. Oldest in Boston, established at about the time of the settlement. Contains tombs of the Winthrops, John Cotton, Governor Leverett, and numerous other Colonial families.

Granary Burying Ground. Tremont Street, midway between Beacon and Park streets. Dating from 166o. Tombs and graves of governors of the Colony and the Commonwealth, and of Samuel Adams, James Otis, John Hancock, Paul Revere, Peter Faneuil, the parents of Benjamin Franklin, with many others of distinction or interest.

Park Street Church. Corner of Tremont and Park streets. Dating from 1809. Historic. Interesting specimen of early nineteenth-century architecture, notably the tower and spire.

St. Paul’s Church. Tremont Street, near Temple Place, opposite the Com mon. Dating from 1820. Interesting interior. Pew No. 25 that of Daniel Webster.

State House. Beacon Hill. Beacon Street and State House Park. Front part — the “Bulfinch Front” so called — built 1795-1797; the extension erected 1889-1895. Decorated interior. Numerous interesting features. Memorial Hall, with the battle flags, statues, and portraits. The “Bradford manuscript” in the State Library. State House Park, with statues and monument.

Shaw Monument. Beacon Street against the Common, opposite the State House. Memorial to Colonel Robert G. Shaw, commander of the first regiment of colored troops in the Civil War. A statue in high relief upon a bronze tablet.

Boston Athenæum. 10 1/2 Beacon Street. Proprietary library. Dating from 1807, oldest in the country. Interesting interior.

House of the Historic Genealogical Society. 18 Somerset Street. Contains the most extensive and valuable genealogical collection known. Open to visitors without fee or charge from 9 A.M. to 5.30 P.M. daily, except Sundays and holidays.

Old West Church. Cambridge Street, corner of Lynde Street, West End. Now the West End Branch of the Public Library. Built in 1806. Interior architecture well preserved. Successor of the West Church of the Revolutionary period, which was occupied as barracks by the British, who pulled down the steeple and used it for firewood, the patriots having employed it for signaling the camp at Cambridge.

Christ Church. Salem Street, North End. Oldest existing church in Boston. Interesting interior. Open daily. Fee, including view from the tower, 25 cents.

Copp’s Hill Burying Ground. Hull Street, opening opposite to Christ Church. Oldest part dating from 1660. Historic tombs and graves.

Paul Revere’s House. North Square; also various other old houses and historic sites of the North End.

Bunker Hill Monument. Monument Square, Charlestown District. A few minutes’ ride on the elevated railway from the North Station station. Revolutionary relics in the lodge. Open from 8 A.M. to 6 P.M. Fee, 20 cents.

United States Navy Yard. Approach from City Square through Chelsea Street, Charlestown District. Naval Museum open from 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. Free.

Natural History Museum. Berkeley Street, corner of Boylston Street, Back Bay. Open week days from 9 A.M. to 5 P.M., with the exception of Wednesdays and Saturdays, when the hours are 10 A.M. to 5 P.M. Free on these days; fee at other times, 25 cents.

Art Museum. Huntington Avenue, Back Bay. Open week days from 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. (November 1 to March 1, 4 P.M.). Free on Saturdays and Sundays (Sunday hours from 12 M. to 5 P.M.), and public holidays; fee other times, 25 cents.

Public Library. Copley Square, Back Bay. Mural decorations by John S. Sargent, Edwin A. Abbey, and Puvis de Chavannes. Largest library in the world for free circulation. Open daily from 9 A.M. to 9 P.M. (through the summer months; other seasons till 10 P.M.); Sunday from 2 to 9 P.M. (summer; other seasons).

Trinity Church. Copley Square. One of the richest examples of ecclesiastical architecture in the country.

Phillips Brooks Memorial. By the side of Trinity Church. Statue and canopy.

Harvard University Buildings and Museums. Cambridge; less than thirty minutes’ ride by electric car from the Subway or Copley Square.

Various parts of the chain of parks comprised in the Boston City Parks System and the public reservations embraced in the Metropolitan Parks System are within easy reach by electric or steam cars; and there are pleasant harbor excursions to be enjoyed, occupying only a few hours or part of a day. (See Harbor and Bay, under Excursions and Tours.)


Web Text-ures Logo
Web and Book design,
Copyright, Kellscraft Studio
1999-2007

(Return to Web Text-ures)